21.6.10

Isabel: the thing that fascinates me in terms of content is really performance itself. I’m finally coming to understand that I’m just obsessed with this form and, it’s not specific to dance because it has more to do with this live act, this action, this experience of what it is to perform. Whatever it is that you are performing, whether it’s music, text, dance, or whatever. But the condition of performing, what that is, is really fascinating and bizarre and strange

Levi: I feel like it’s a container or space where so much happens that I’ll never really be able to understand it all, or analyze it, or pick it apart. And that’s what’s exciting about it. That you create all of these conditions and structures, as many as you can possibly think of and maybe it’s about rehearsal, maybe it’s not, but then you enter into that space and it’s so beyond comprehension somehow. Energetically, intellectually…

Isabel: I love performing and I’m terrified of performing and I always hated the thought of making a solo. By nature, I have a very shy interior and at the same time I find something in this act of performing that’s so liberating and bizarre. It does have to do with the unattainability of really understanding it. I am so critical in the way that my brain works; I like to really understand things and pick things apart and analyze, and performance is always so fresh to me, every single time no matter what it is I’m performing.
-- Isabel Lewis in conversation with Levi Gonzalez

No comments:

Post a Comment